FREELANCE ROBOTICS SERVICES
Robotics & Automation
Freelance Robotics provides quality engineering services and solutions across
the field of robotics and automation.
Depending on the requirements, our services in robotics and automation engineering include:
- Technical specifications report for project development (if not provided by client)
- Feasibility study / project costing estimation report, including return on investment calculations
- Design and integration of all parts of the robot including software, electronics and mechanics
- Development of a proof of concept when we are creating an entirely new product
- Programming of the whole behaviour including control, human interface, I/O and sensor management in an appropriate language
- On-site installation of the final version for extensive testing and hand-over of the finished product
- After-sales service including repairs and upgrades
- Scheduled maintenance to keep the robots in good working order
We can develop robots from scratch as well as install, program and repair most robots on the market, including ABB and
KUKA, due to our deep understanding of the robotics technology they rely on.
See our development approach page for more information about our approach to project management.
What is Robotics:Robotics is a knowledge based on many engineering fields to develop a complex, interactive system. The main engineering fields
related to robotics are: mechanics, electronics, information technology (IT), signal processing and artificial intelligence (AI).
Robotics science is now known as mechatronics, which is the partial or complete combination of the above skills and knowledge.
Here is a brief description of the role of each discipline:
- Mechanics allows the machine to interact with the physical environment, for instance grab an object or activate a certain force / pressure to trigger the desired reaction on the environment.
- Electronics allows the machine to sense the physical world and operate on it by transforming a mechanical / physical property into an electrical signal and vice versa. Nowadays, electronics is generally a combination of digital and analog electrical signals.
- Information technology is the computing science that allows complex machine behaviour by using micro-processors / computers to control highly complex behaviour and reasoning using logic programs.
- Signal processing is the science of interpreting the electrical signals provided by electronics systems. The signal is processed and filtered to extract desired information from sensors and an appropriate signal is sent as a response, generally interpreted by actuators, or information to a display, sound or feedback loop. This allows machines to be controlled with accuracy using an action / reaction principle. With the great improvements in micro-processor technology, this discipline is now mainly based on digital signals extracted from analog signals which are processed by micro-controllers and converted back to analog signals to provide the appropriate input for the actuators.
- Artificial intelligence is an addition to robotics science that allows more complex behaviour involving adding an adaptation factor to the basic action / reaction system. This allows the machine to adapt its behaviour using inputs that are weighted according to importance.
What is Automation: Automation is basically a more primitive version of a robotics system. Thus a simple conveyor system consisting of a motor and mechanical parts actuated by an electronic switch is considered an automated system. Automated systems can be relatively smart and do use control systems but they are limited to action / reaction functions in a controlled environment.
Automation is therefore well suited to repetitive tasks with a logical sequence of actions and expected inputs, for example a metal part to weld on a specific spot each time.
Robotics & Automation Development Examples: We can develop mobile robots for terrestrial, aerial or aquatic applications.
Here are some examples of vehicle automation development we can offer:
- Mining: drilling rigs, loading trucks, service vehicles
- Agricultural: tractor, Irrigators, buggy
- Industrial: forklift, mobile storage, automated truck loading and unloading
- Limited access area: pipe, air conditioning duct, under house inspection robots
- Private: garden helper, house cleaning helper, animal interaction / entertainer, mobile robot platform for research at manufacturing show of Queensland
UAV – Unmanned Aerial Vehicles:
- Mining (topographic mapping survey etc …)
- Sales and maintenance (aerial photography)
- Surveillance / Monitoring
AUV – Autonomous Underwater Vehicle & USF
– Unmanned Surface Vehicle:
- Ocean floor topography
- Fauna and flora monitoring
- Flooded pipes
- Automation of marine farming (aquaculture)
- Specialised packaging machine
- Automate full manufacturing process
- Part sorting
- Robotic arm
- Automate Loading / unloading system for transport
Despite being closer to artificial intelligence, Web Bots are a particular type of robot that generally work in the virtual world of the internet. Some applications could be:
- Smart avatar
- Web interacting robots
- Monitoring / harvesting data